Started playing with Wineserver on mingw/cygwin again

Geoff Thorpe geoff at geoffthorpe.net
Thu Feb 6 13:53:34 CST 2003

* Dan Kegel (dank at kegel.com) wrote:
> Not many people are running the new glibc+kernel combination.
> It's been hard to do until recently.
>
> I think the key thing for the moment is to get a few developers
> set up with it (either via Red Hat 8.1 beta, or via Gentoo (more work,
> but much more control), or maybe a Suse beta).

Perhaps compiling a UML 2.5.*-based kernel and making a small LFS-style
root filesystem downloadable would be a good idea? I agree the
development problem is likely to be aggravated by few developers having
any great desire to work inside such a flakey, bleeding edge system as
the modern kernel and glibc would currently require, so perhaps a UML
environment (with multiple "before and after" kernel versions) would
feel more comfortable? I happen to follow the UML mail lists (for
similar reasons to why I monitor the wine project) and I suspect there
are some people and tools there that might help us if we want and/or
need them.

However, I think the question is for those wine developers that grok and
hack the threading code; is there something along these lines I (and/or
anyone else) could do to help you?

Cheers,
Geoff

--