smatch, something like the Stanford Checker

Michael Stefaniuc mstefani at redhat.de
Sun Feb 9 18:09:09 CST 2003

Hello,

i always dreamed to have something like the Stanford Checker for Wine
and some days ago i've seen on freshmeat smatch
http://smatch.sourceforge.net/ . It's a project from KernelJanitors and
it seems usefull, at least it's worth an entry on Dimi's janitorial
page.
A short description:
Smatch is basicaly a patch to gcc-3.1.1 that makes the gcc dump out it's
internal represantation of the code and a set of perl modules/scripts to
ease the parsing of the dumped code. Most of the perl scripts are for
the Linux Kernel but writing new scripts seems to be easy. I wrote
(well, mostly adapted an existing script for the kernel) one script
http://people.redhat.com/mstefani/wine/smatch/enter_leave.pl
(if we decide to adopt smatch it should probably go to $wine/tools/smatch/)
to find code path with missing LeaveCriticalSection's. Scripts to find
some other usefull things like fd, DC, GDI obejects leaks should be easy
to write.

Comments?
bye
	michael
System Administration           Fax.: +49-711-96437-111
Red Hat GmbH                    Email: mstefani at redhat.com
Hauptstaetterstr. 58            http://www.redhat.de/
D-70178 Stuttgart