Wine, FreeBSD, and PPC

Mike Hearn mike at theoretic.com
Mon Feb 10 16:57:26 CST 2003

On Mon, 2003-02-10 at 22:32, ArchAngel_Nix wrote:
> I am running Gnome on a variant of FreeBSD called Darwin.

You're using raw darwin? Or are you really using MacOS?

> Darwin runs
> on PPC architecture opposed to x86 architecture. My question is can
> Wine run on this variant of FreeBSD?

Yes..

> Can I download the source and
> build Wine for my system?

I think so. I know it works on Linux/PPC and FreeBSD. Not sure if they
work together.

> Will Wine work with other processor
> architectures, or only x86? Thanks for the help.

Well, WineLib will work on other architectures. However, you won't be
able to just download apps off the net and run them, because Wine
doesn't have a CPU emulator. So you could recompile Windows apps if you
had the source code, but most windows apps are closed source, so....
well, up to you really.