PATCH: Get rid of superfluous dup() and close() calls.

Alexandre Julliard julliard at winehq.com
Wed Feb 12 13:32:18 CST 2003

Martin Wilck <Martin.Wilck at Fujitsu-Siemens.com> writes:

> Asynchronous IO, broken or not, allows for hundreds of simultaneous IO
> operations on a single HANDLE, and therefore gets us into *resource
> shortage* as long as we use up an fd for each such operation.

That of course is a completely different issue, and I agree this one
needs solving. But it's not clear at all that we need to change the
generic functionality that works just fine in other cases. IMO we
should change the way the async I/O works to avoid wasting file
descriptors. This probably means some kind of reference counting, but
since this is only necessary for async I/O it should be done there,
not in the generic code.

--
Alexandre Julliard
julliard at winehq.com