X11 Clipboard implementation

Mike Hearn mike at theoretic.com
Wed Feb 12 17:12:09 CST 2003

> I think the old standard interface is good (select to copy, middle-click to
> paste) and generally consider apps that don't support it to be broken.

Sure. Unfortunately it appears impossible to "unbreak" wine in this
respect, as Windows apps will never consistantly notify the system when
text is selected.

> At the very least, Wine should be configurable to work either way. I want
> all clipboards to use PRIMARY, because that is the behavior that I am used
> to.

Well, that's the road that leads to prefs bloat, but that's another
issue entirely.

> I don't care what some standards body claims is correct (at least not
> when it only affects how I use my computer, and not how my computer
> interacts with other computers). I would like to be able to select text in
> a window and then paste it into a Wine program, which can not be done with
> CLIPBOARD (or at least it is not the standard behavior of programs right
> now).

Well that's kind of hard without breaking other programs. If I copy
something to CLIPBOARD then select some text in PRIMARY, and press Paste
in a wine app, which takes precendence? Most users would expect
CLIPBOARD, especially if they were used to Windows. Trying to explain
why the "wrong thing" was pasted because they selected some other text
in the meantime is really really hard, I've tried.

As a personal thing, I'd note that if you want you can install a
clipboard mangler, but knowingly breaking agreed on standards simply
because of what somebody is used to just causes problems for new users
when it doesn't work how they expect which doesn't seem fair to me.

> I also want to be able to paste anything I cut/copy from Wine
> programs by middle clicking. Just because Windows has a worse user
> interface than Linux doesn't mean Wine has to follow.

Again, stealing PRIMARY in this way tends to break other apps, although
it's not quite so severe this way around, as people don't tend to keep
stuff lying around in PRIMARY.

> Ideally, I would also like to be able to paste by middle clicking. Since
> Windows does not generally use the middle mouse button, it should not cause
> problems for Windows programs to lose the middle button. But that is a less
> important feature.

It's pretty hard, if not impossible, to implement this in a consistant
way (ie works for everything).

Anyway, what Wine does currently is incorrect but as it doesn't cause
dataloss in CLIPBOARD (as stealing the selection on select would do),
it's not a major issue.