How to debug a windows app

Rein Klazes rklazes at xs4all.nl
Sat Feb 15 06:21:09 CST 2003

On Fri, 14 Feb 2003 21:42:50 +0100, you wrote:

> I noticed that Agent crashes frequently when sending email. It shows an
> exception which I never saw on Winodws because Agent is rather stable.

Hmm, I use Agent every day. It does not crash frequently here, maybe
once per month at the most. Neither can I remember it crashing when
sending a mail.
First rule of running agent stable is to use only builtin dll's. If you
have any windows dll's then check this with --debugmsg +loaddll , no
libraries should be loaded native.

> Now I
> want to take a look at it, but I need to know how I can debug a windows app
> running under wine.

I would try to catch the crash in the debugger first. A backtrace (type
bt) can give the first insight where the program crashes. If you didn't
set up the debugger then check out
http://www.winehq.com/Docs/wine-devel/dbg-config.shtml

Rein.
--