Resources and more with Darwin

Pierre d'Herbemont stegefin at free.fr
Mon Feb 17 14:45:09 CST 2003

Hi,

On Sunday, February 16, 2003, at 08:34 PM, Marcus Meissner wrote:

> On Sun, Feb 16, 2003 at 06:22:56PM +0100, Pierre d'Herbemont wrote:
>> Hi all!
>>
>> I am trying to build wine onto Max OS X/Darwin. I am getting trouble
>> with windres and the *.res files. I would like to know if it would be
>> possible to have winelib running without those resources, I mean,
>> could
>> I build a program and link it fine without those resources?
>
> What trouble?
>
> It should just work, be basically just convert bytestreams into a
> C file.

Hum... more like a compilation problem with binutils and windres. I'll
should have dig deeper on this. I will look further :)

>> In a second time I would like to know if you plan to use wrc as the
>> only (without windres) resource manager. I have read in the list
>> something like that, could you give me the confirmation?
>
> Huh?

"First, windres supports any conversions between .rc, .res, .o
files, whereas wrc supports only .rc -> .res. It would be
interesting (from the Winelib point of view) to also support
.rc and .res -> .o. The other transformations supported by
windres (.o -> .res -> .rc) are not as interesting, as they
are not used in the build process. "
from:
http://www.winehq.com/hypermail/wine-devel/2002/12/0168.html

I would like to know if you still plan this. I mean do you plan to use
wrc instead of windres?

>> Also I would like to know in which measure is the Elf file format
>> implicated in wine (in opposition to darwin's mach-o).
>
> It is not, but basically we require shared libraries of some kind.

Ok, thanks a lot, it seems encouraging ;)

Cheers,

Pierre