out of memory on dos programs

Tony Lambregts tony_lambregts at telusplanet.net
Mon Feb 17 22:18:20 CST 2003

Eric Noack wrote:

>i get a "Program too big" error on all programs compiled
>with the "PowerBASIC" compiler pbc.exe 3.00c
>
>and similar out of memory errors on other dos programs, when running them under wine
>
>to my pleasure the pbc compiler itself runs fine under wine
>
>here is an example:
>
>http://gemia.de/test/test.bas
>
>a hello world BASIC source
>
>http://gemia.de/test/test.exe
>
>the binary compiled with pbc 3.00c under wine
>
>http://gemia.de/test/pbc.exe
>
>same compiler
>
>on every program compiled with a PowerBASIC compiler i get
>
>"Program too big"
>when running it under wine.
>this string is given out by the executable when failing to allocate some memory
>
>i tryed to disassemble the compiled program to check what type of memory allocation
>should have taken place, but my dos disassembler (sourcer) failed under wine
>with an out of memory error, too.
>
>now is this a bug in wine, not handling some ms-dos memory allocation requests,
>or did i just miss some configuration option to tell wine to give dos programs
>more memory to allocate?
>
>i hope this is not OT too much

Not if you intend to implement the missing functions or fix the bugs and
are just asking for some help in that direction. Otherwise Bugzilla  is
the place for this http:\\bugs.winehq.org

>Eric
>

>PS: here is the console output
>

>>raven at VikingPC wine $ cat test.bas
>>print "hello world"
>>raven at VikingPC wine $ wine pbc test.bas
>>Warning: unprotecting the first 64KB of memory to allow real-mode calls.
>>        NULL pointer accesses will no longer be caught.
>>PowerBASIC Compiler Version 3.00c  Copyright (c) 1989-1993 by Robert S. Zale
>>PowerBASIC Inc. *  Brentwood, CA, USA
>>F:\TEST\WINE\TEST.BAS
>>3 statements, 2 lines
>>Compile time: 00:00.1 Compilation speed: 1800 stmts/minute
>>272 bytes code, 2800 bytes data, 2048 bytes stack
>>Segments(1): 1k
>>raven at VikingPC wine $ wine test.exe
>>Warning: unprotecting the first 64KB of memory to allow real-mode calls.
>>        NULL pointer accesses will no longer be caught.
>>Program too bigraven at VikingPC wine $
>>

>I found the string "Program too big" in test.exe at position 0000:2203 hex
>I guess its just given out after failing to allocate some memory ;)
>as i said my disassembler doesnt work doe to some similar error

What is your version of wine (wine -v)

[tony at tony tony]$ wine "f:\test"
Warning: unprotecting the first 64KB of memory to allow real-mode calls.
         NULL pointer accesses will no longer be caught.
fixme:int21:DOSVM_Int21Handler SetSystemDate(81/83/17477): not allowed
fixme:int:DOSVM_Int10Handler Unknown - 0xfe
err:int:DOSVM_Int10Handler int10: unknown/not implemented parameters:
int10: AX fe00, BX b800, CX 4445, DX 5351, SI 19b2, DI 0000, DS 00ab, ES
b800
fixme:int:DOSVM_Int16Handler Unknown INT 16 function - 0x5
Program too big

Thats a couple of interupt handlers that want some attention.

--

Tony Lambregts