[ros-kernel] Weekend Coder Project: WinMM functions

Chris Morgan cmorgan at alum.wpi.edu
Wed Feb 19 16:33:41 CST 2003

On Wednesday 19 February 2003 04:17 am, Mike Hearn wrote:
> Well, I'd imagine there's no wineesd because eSound sucks straws. Jack
> is a much better sound server, and I know at some point (probably soon)
> GNOME is going drop eSound entirely, they're just waiting for the move
> to gstreamer to be completed, so hopefully soon eSound will die the
> death it deserves.
>
> Ideally both KDE and GNOME would use Jack, it might be something to
> raise on the xdg-list

I also think that a move to jack would be best, even for general purpose
non-audio apps.  I've tried (unsuccessfully thus far) to get jack to include
a blocking io api that could be used to make it easy for existing apps to be
ported.  My thought was that most general purpose apps wouldn't mind using
jack but don't need to jump through any hoops if they don't need extremely
low latencies and stream synchronization.  Why rewrite your whole app if it
only uses audio when a dialog box pops up or new mail arrives? The api in its
working but unfinished form is at http://www.sf.net/projects/bio2jack if
anyone is interested.  It is basically the wine jack implementation as a
backend and it works quite well for xmms.

> On Tue, 2003-02-18 at 19:43, Sylvain Petreolle wrote:
> > could a wineesd.drv be written ? has someone started such a project ?

I would imagine it would be pretty straight forward to write an esd drive for
wine.  If someone wants to do this and needs some help feel free to email me.

Thanks,
Chris