Fast thread-local storage for OpenGL drivers

Dan Kegel dank at kegel.com
Sat Feb 22 10:12:22 CST 2003

Dan Kegel wrote:
> Gareth Hughes wrote:
>
>> It is critically important for OpenGL drivers to have fast
>> (single-instruction) access to thread local variables. ...
>> While glibc's new thread library implementation has many benefits,
>> particularly to application programmers (with support for the new keyword
>> '__thread', and so on), it basically forces a function call per thread
>> local
>> variable access for situations like the one I described above. ...
>> Comments, questions are welcome.
>

> Hi Gareth,
> I forwarded your note to the NPTL mailing list.
> Roland McGrath replied, and suggests that you might want to
> reread the TLS paper
> (I think he's referring to
> http://people.redhat.com/drepper/nptl-design.pdf,
> which appears to be offline at the moment) ...

I've been corrected.  The two TLS documents are
http://www.imodulo.com/gnu/gcc/Thread-Local.html and
http://people.redhat.com/drepper/tls.pdf

There have been a few good replies on the NPTL list;
see e.g. https://listman.redhat.com/pipermail/phil-list/2003-February/000615.html
in which Roland expands a bit on his first post.
- Dan

--
Dan Kegel
http://www.kegel.com