Fast thread-local storage for OpenGL drivers

Gareth Hughes gareth at nvidia.com
Sat Feb 22 12:19:48 CST 2003

Dan Kegel wrote:

> If it turns out glibc's new __thread variable support really can do what
> you need on all platforms, do you agree that it might be better to use
> that?

Insert the word "new" between "all" and "platforms", and maybe you'll have
more of an appreciation for my point of view :-)

> Which platforms are those?  I didn't see this in your previous email.

How about basically every IA32 Linux installation out there (or, at the very
least, those that are currently supported by our drivers)?  How many people
are actually using systems that have full support for __thread?  As I
understand it, RedHat 8.1 will be the first large-scale release that does.

-- Gareth