Fast thread-local storage for OpenGL drivers

Dan Kegel dank at kegel.com
Sat Feb 22 13:13:19 CST 2003

Gareth Hughes wrote:
> Dan Kegel wrote:
>
>>If it turns out glibc's new __thread variable support really can do what
>>you need on all platforms, do you agree that it might be better to use
>>that?
>
> Insert the word "new" between "all" and "platforms", and maybe you'll have
> more of an appreciation for my point of view :-)

OK, "all new platforms".  Sounds like a good argument for tagging
along with glibc's __thread variable support, if you ask me.

>>> 1) We need fast TLS access on platforms where __thread variables are not
>>> supported.
>>Which platforms are those?  I didn't see this in your previous email.
>
> How about basically every IA32 Linux installation out there (or, at the very
> least, those that are currently supported by our drivers)?  How many people
> are actually using systems that have full support for __thread?  As I
> understand it, RedHat 8.1 will be the first large-scale release that does.

Yes, and all other Linux distros will follow not too long thereafter.

- Dan

--
Dan Kegel
http://www.kegel.com