Fast thread-local storage for OpenGL drivers

Dan Kegel dank at kegel.com
Sat Feb 22 14:47:13 CST 2003

Gareth Hughes wrote:
> Alexandre Julliard [mailto:julliard at winehq.com] wrote:
>
>>There are no more guarantees with the GDI area than with anything
>>else. Microsoft is free to change that whenever they feel like it.
>>
>>Negative offsets could work, but they would waste a full page of
>>memory for each thread since the TEB has to be page-aligned. I'd
>>stronly recommend finding a way to use the glibc threading support
>>instead.
>

> As I keep saying, we need a solution that works on platforms that don't
> support __thread.

For these older versions of Linux, can't
you just keep doing things as you do now?

I suspect most of the old versions of Linux you're worried
about will vanish from user's desktops fairly quickly
as soon as Linux distributions ship versions that
include the current suite of improvements.  (Not that
people will kill for the new glibc, but there are
a whole lot of improvements in font handling and
desktop apps coming out shortly.)

- Dan

--
Dan Kegel