Wine 0.9 config applets?

Shachar Shemesh wine-devel at sun.consumer.org.il
Sun Feb 23 13:05:25 CST 2003

I don't think Viruses are a major issue. The way I see it, there are
currently several functions wineboot fulfils, and we need to consider
all of them:

   1. Boot time operations - renaming pending files (wininit.ini and the
      pendingrename registry key)
   2. Startup operations - runservices and runservicesonce and such.
   3. Session startup:
         1. Install related operations - RunOnce
         2. Permenant operations - Run, startup folder etc.

Wineboot currently focuses on 1, 2 and 3.1. This gives me the ability to
consider running it on wineserver *shutdown* (and when Alexander
suggested it, it sounded crazy to me, how times change). If we implement
the startup related activities as well, that will not be an option. (the
problem with running it on startup is the race condition between the
renames and the program starting). I think I have a solution to that
problem, in the form of command parameters, but I'll be smarter when
things progress.

As for the virus problem - while I guess I can disable startup, I'm not
sure it's the right idea. We are attempting to immitate the genuine
Windows environment, and that means, among other things, startups. The
more we progress, the more habitable our environment is going to be to
viruses and malwares. I don't think there is much we can do about it.

The user, on the other hand, would like to have a conveiniant
environment. Having many switches and tweaks will not improve their
ability to control Wine, quite the contrary.

            Shachar

--
Shachar Shemesh
Open Source integration consultant