Wine 0.9 config applets?

Sylvain Petreolle spetreolle at yahoo.fr
Sun Feb 23 16:27:04 CST 2003

 --- Shachar Shemesh <wine-devel at sun.consumer.org.il> a écrit : > I
don't think Viruses are a major issue. The way I see it, there are
> currently several functions wineboot fulfils, and we need to consider
>
> all of them:
>
>    1. Boot time operations - renaming pending files (wininit.ini and
> the
>       pendingrename registry key)
>    2. Startup operations - runservices and runservicesonce and such.
>    3. Session startup:
>          1. Install related operations - RunOnce
>          2. Permenant operations - Run, startup folder etc.

3.2  is managed too by wineboot - for run only at the moment.
You can put a key into  HKLM/.../CurentVersion/Run
called "Test"= "Write.exe".
Thats what I want to be disabled by an option (which can be enabled by
default if not in the config file.)

I want to be sure that nothing else that an app Im trying to test is
running.

> Wineboot currently focuses on 1, 2 and 3.1. This gives me the ability
> consider running it on wineserver *shutdown* (and when Alexander
> suggested it, it sounded crazy to me, how times change). If we
> implement
> the startup related activities as well, that will not be an option.

There is one solution for that : delay program starting like the font
metrics cache generation does.

> (the
> problem with running it on startup is the race condition between the
> renames and the program starting). I think I have a solution to that
> problem, in the form of command parameters, but I'll be smarter when
> things progress.

Like I said, it can be enabled by default.
> As for the virus problem - while I guess I can disable startup, I'm
> not
> sure it's the right idea. We are attempting to immitate the genuine
> Windows environment, and that means, among other things, startups.
> The
> more we progress, the more habitable our environment is going to be
> viruses and malwares. I don't think there is much we can do about it.
>
> The user, on the other hand, would like to have a conveiniant
> environment. Having many switches and tweaks will not improve their
> ability to control Wine, quite the contrary.

=====
Sylvain Petreolle
spetreolle at users.sourceforge.net
Fight against Spam ! http://www.euro.cauce.org/en/index.html
ICQ #170597259

"Don't think you are. Know you are." Morpheus, in "Matrix".