gtk look progress and pthreads.

Dan Kegel dank at kegel.com
Sun Feb 23 18:20:49 CST 2003

Keith Matthews wrote:
> Dan Kegel <dank at kegel.com> wrote:
>>Integration is a good goal!  ...
>
> Depends how it is done. What worries me is the statement 'more
> integrated with Linux' - wine runs (or should do) on BSDs as well where
> there are already problems. Any work that made things worse is
> undesirable.

IMHO integration should be pursued via standards like
those at http://www.freedesktop.org, not by linking in
huge, not-quite-portable desktop libraries.  I want
Wine, KDE, Gnome, and other desktop environments
to use common data formats for things like icons
and menus, and thereby give users freedom from being locked
into any one desktop package (or operating system).

(That said, I have nothing against a kernel module for
wineserver, if it has significant benefits.  We can
always use the userspace implementation as a fallback,
and the module should be small enough that we could
maintain it for both Linux and BSD.  Come to think
of it, maybe we could use the PEACE project's win32
kernel stuff on BSD instead of writing a new one.)

> There are also a growing number of people getting upset about the
> resource requirements of the window managers and wanting to go back to
> fvwm and the like. There was a thread recently on uk.comp.os.linux by
> someone who was not happy with the performance of Gnome or KDE on a
> PIII-500.

I'm with you there.  I run very primitive window managers on
several of my machines because I can't stand the overhead
of KDE and Gnome.

--
Dan Kegel
http://www.kegel.com