annoyance running mingw

David Fraser davidf at sjsoft.com
Mon Feb 24 00:19:11 CST 2003

Dan Kegel wrote:

> Dimitrie O. Paun wrote:
>
>> On February 24, 2003 12:46 am, Dan Kegel wrote:
>>
>>> So I wonder if Wine shouldn't be mean, and not try
>>> so hard to understand Unix paths.
>>

>> What about reversing the order: first try the DOS
>> path, if that fails, try the Unix one...
>

> Hmm, that's a good idea.  Same kinds of errors could
> happen, but they're probably a bit less likely...
> - Dan

Seems to me the problem here is that mingw is passing these paths into
Wine at all. The only apparent way to get to DOSFS_GetPathDrive is
through DOSFS_GetFullName or DOSFS_GetShortPathName so either
mingw is calling one of those functions with Unix path names or its calling
some other Win32 API function with Unix path names which then calls
one of those functions.
But how would that work on Windows? Surely mingw should always convert
unix paths to Windows paths *before* giving them to any Win32 function?

David