Don't use -Wpointer-arith if it produces excessive warnings

Dmitry Timoshkov dmitry at baikal.ru
Mon Feb 24 00:46:56 CST 2003

"Mike McCormack" <mike at codeweavers.com> wrote:

> I agree that it is a bug in string.h, and that it would be better if it
> were fixed, but I think most people will not go to the hastle of
> modifying their string.h or upgrading their headers... IMO it is cleaner
> to not make the warnings.  People who have good headers will have wine
> compiled with -Wpointer-arith, and can fix and warnings that they see.

I.e. are you proposing to build a potentially broken Wine binaries instead
of fixing a probable source of bug? Is there a point in turning warnings
on if nobody pays attention to them or even tries to get rid of them if
they annoy enough?

> Personally I'd rather not mess with the default header files on my
> system, as I'd problem screw them up, and thus screw up every program I
> built ;)

Complain to your distribution owner then and make them fix the bug for you.

--
Dmitry.