Middleware regression test suites, e.g. ACE

Dan Kegel dank at kegel.com
Tue Feb 25 13:08:04 CST 2003

The idea of using middleware test suites
to test Wine has come up before, I'm sure,
but while looking for real world uses of
overlapped I/O to named pipes for my named pipe
conformance test, I noticed a good candidate.

ACE is a set of object-oriented
wrappers around operating system primitives,
See http://www.cs.wustl.edu/~schmidt/ACE.html
I think it's cruft (hey, it's c++ :-), but in spite of that,
it is the basis of a whole lot of software, some
very, very good.
Ace has a largish set of regression tests
which, being tests of a fairly thin OS abstraction layer,
would be an almost perfect match for Wine's needs.
See
http://cvs.doc.wustl.edu/ace-cvs.cgi/ACE_wrappers/tests/README?rev=4.25
for more info about their regression tests.

Can someone with a beefy machine and time on their hands
give this a shot under Wine?  Presumably you'd build everything
with msvc, then run the tests under Wine.

Warning: ACE is huge, and will hurt your head if you're not
prepared.  Wear sunglasses or something :-)
- Dan

--
Dan Kegel
http://www.kegel.com