annoyance running mingw

Tony Lambregts tony_lambregts at telusplanet.net
Tue Feb 25 20:44:00 CST 2003

  Dimitrie O. Paun wrote:

>On February 24, 2003 12:46 am, Dan Kegel wrote:
>

>>So I wonder if Wine shouldn't be mean, and not try
>>so hard to understand Unix paths.
>>

>What about reversing the order: first try the DOS
>path, if that fails, try the Unix one...

It is not possible to easily reverse the order in wine searches
DOSFS_GetPathDrive. If it sees a "/" then it tries to use the path as a
(absolute) unix one otherwise it just returns the current drive.
Changing this behavior is not simple and however annoying the message is
it is correct.

AFAICT this function is internal only and only called by
GetShortPathNameW. In order to change this behavior we would have to
make changes to GetShortPathNameW so that it tries the path with the
current drive first and then calls this (modified) function. After
looking at the code for the last couple of hours I'm sure it could be
done but I don't know if it is worth it.

At present I think that it would be better to change the message

    {

        if ((drive = DRIVE_FindDriveRootW( name )) == -1)

        {

-            MESSAGE("Warning: %s not accessible from a configured DOS drive\n", debugstr_w(*name) );

+            WARN("failed to find %s as an absolute unix path mapped to configured DOS drive \n",
+                   debugstr_w(*name) );
+            WARN("assuming it was a really a DOS name")
            /* Assume it really was a DOS name */

            drive = DRIVE_GetCurrentDrive();

        }

Or something like that.