Adding shmserver

Stefan Jones cretin at gentoo.org
Thu Feb 27 13:59:04 CST 2003

On Thu, 2003-02-27 at 19:02, Alexandre Julliard wrote:
> Boris Reisig <boris at boris.ca> writes:
>
> > I saw previous posts about the shmserver solution. Its an excellent idea but
> > will it be included in wine?
>
> No it won't. It's a neat hack, but it doesn't preserve the core idea
> behind the server design, which is that processes are properly
> isolated. With the shm server you basically go back to the Win9x days
> where any buggy process can trash the system structures; and I don't
> think that this is where we want to go.

Is this because you cannot have a single wineserver per main process,
but a global one for all applications? This would be so because of
various functions like, I guess, IPC and message passing.

If a windows program under wine does a faulty Win32 call, it it should
cause an error, and possibly crash; I take it you are referring to knock
on effects to other processes using the same wineserver.

But I would hazard a guess that *some* Win32 functions which only effect
that process can use the shm thing, the memory only being shared between
the threads in the process.

Just wondering,

Stefan
--