Report after porting a windows app to WINE

Paul McNett p at ulmcnett.com
Fri Feb 28 12:38:14 CST 2003

On Thursday 27 February 2003 04:29 pm, Mike Engelhardt wrote:

> I would like to know if there is a way to determine if my app is running
> under WINE under runtime.  That way I can work around more of these
> problems without imparing its performance under MS Windows.  If you know
> the answer, please e-mail me directly.

In my app startup, I look for the environmental variable "_".  Under
Windows, it will likely not even exist.  Under Wine, it will tell you
something like "/usr/local/bin/wine".  I save this to a global variable
called _WINE.  That way, no matter where I am in my app I can check the
value of _WINE to decide which branch to execute.  I haven't had to use
this yet, and hope not to, but built it in already just in case.

HTH

Paul McNett - p at ulmcnett.com
Hollister, California, USA