FAQ: best win32 api spy tool?

Dan Kegel dank at kegel.com
Wed Jan 1 17:30:32 CST 2003

Hi,
I'm trying to figure out why an app works on Windows but not Wine,
and it'd sure be nice to be able to log all the api calls the
app makes under each of the two environments; then perhaps
I could compare the logs to see where Wine differed from Windows.

Does anyone else do stuff like that?  If so, what tools do you use?

http://www.wheaty.net/FAQ.htm#APISPY32 says that the best tool out there is
http://www.internals.com/utilities_main.htm
(Supposedly the author will send source to you on request, too.)
That program requires a text file containing the prototype for
each API you want to spy on, though, and it only comes with 3 APIs
as an example.  Does anyone have a full version of that file, or
a perl script to create it from the wine tree?

I suppose I could write my own, too, if that's the only way
to get a tool that works well in both environments.
http://help.madshi.net/ApiHookingMethods.htm
seems to have lots of info on that.

--
Dan Kegel