FAQ: best win32 api spy tool?

Dmitry Timoshkov dmitry at baikal.ru
Wed Jan 1 22:53:26 CST 2003

"Jeremy White" <jwhite at codeweavers.com> wrote:

> We've looked into this extensively; looking at both flavors
> of apispy (yes, there are two of them, with very similar names),
> and a lot of other variations.
>
> However, I've got a half baked W2K based solution similar to
> the Detours library from Microsoft.  The advantage to my approach
> is that it generates a relay log identical to that of Wine,
> which then allows for diffing the log files.

Debugging Tools for Windows http://www.microsoft.com/ddk/debugging
has logger.exe/logviewer.exe which help a lot in investigating what
actually windows applications do. Logger creates binary log files
which logviewer is able to parse/view. Even there is a mechanism
to extend the logging facility by simply editing a .h like files.

Logviewer is able to show all the API arguments, various data structures,
API results and more. It can export log into the plain text file, which
could be diffed against another one. I would say that log file is *very*
similar to the Wine relay log. Just give it a try.

--
Dmitry.