interesting crash in msvc6.0 setup

Dan Kegel dank at kegel.com
Sat Jan 4 14:42:38 CST 2003

Since msvcmaker doesn't support msvc4.0, I'm trying to
install msvc6.0 under wine.  (Yeah, I know, I should run it
under windows, but I'm stubborn.)

Interestingly, the setup program puts itself in the background.
This means you have to be careful to check with ps that you don't have
old wines laying around from the last run, and when logging,
you have to make sure all wine processes have exited, else
your log file isn't complete yet.

Unfortunately, setup fails fairly early.

When emulating win9x, it fails before presenting
a dialog box -- with a page fault reading from a file handle
returned from CreateFile.  It looks like it's doing an
assembly string search on the Windows file structure pointed
to by the handle!  I wonder why.  Maybe it was an easy
way to prevent people from running under Wine :-)
We may have to hack wine to make handles be valid pointers;
I wonder what magic bytes setup is looking for there.

When emulating winnt or winxp, it gets a bit further, but dies
with a null pointer access.  Oddly enough, adding --debugmsg +relay
lets it proceed.  It insists on installing Microsoft VM for Java,
then tries to reboot.  Restarting wine d:setup (this time without
--debugmsg) continues properly for a while, but eventually crashes.

Whenever it crashes in winnt/xp, it leaves one or more windowless
wcmd's running the following script:

:Repeat
del "E:\vs60wiz.exe"
if exist "E:\vs60wiz.exe" goto Repeat
del "C:\WINDOWS\DEL4056.BAT"

in a loop, chewing up huge amounts of CPU time.

--
Dan Kegel
Linux User #78045