WIP RPC test code (RFC): rpc_K01-pre2.diff

Greg Turner gmturner007 at ameritech.net
Sun Jan 5 22:53:40 CST 2003

On Sunday 05 January 2003 05:15 pm, Alexandre Julliard wrote:
> Eric Pouech <eric.pouech at wanadoo.fr> writes:
> > what about an environment variable ?
> > we already use something like this for the wineserver (WINESERVER),
> > the wine console (WINECONSOLE)... why not rpcss (WINERPCSS) ?
>
> I don't think we want a separate environment variable for every
> single Wine program. Simply setting the correct WINEDLLPATH should be
> enough (and runtest should be doing that already AFAICS).

I think this is also not cross platform portable.  I probably need to
generate a matrix of _s.c, _c.c, and .h files for powermac/linux,
sparc, ia64, er.. what was the list again?  Ugh.  That approach is not
going to scale very gracefully... widl, once it is capable, is the
easy-to-identify solution, but presumably the full infrastructure that
would allow RPC stub generation would be quite an undertaking... all
those nasty modes, /Oi.* business, architecture switches, and, perhaps
worst of all, format-string generation... probably a barrel of snakes
in there alone.

I guess, the real answer, is go brush up on my bison skills... until
then, I guess a matrix of files is the best I can do.

I plan to implement that using the library aproach mentioned by Eric,
instead of the one-big-exe approach, also mentioned by Eric, to achieve
this.  It's more verbose, but, it supports the needs of a multiplatform
test, and is the more elegant solution w.r.t. widl in this intermediate
stage: widl can very nearly generate the stringinput.h I would need for
libraries, whereas with this /rename trick, I had to use MIDL's
stringinput.h.

I think you shouldn't comitt my K01 until I fix some of that stuff; it
will probably break a lot of trees to throw it into CVS in this
condition.  Hopefully, I can figure out the basic make incantations,
and if not, well, you will hear from me.

--
gmt

"It does not take a majority to prevail ... but rather an irate,
tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the
minds of men." --Samuel Adams, Patriot