RDP client under Wine?

Rick Romero rick at valeoinc.com
Mon Jan 6 11:52:56 CST 2003

On Mon, 2003-01-06 at 10:32, Hetz Ben Hamo wrote:
> > > 1. rdesktop - it runs, but only 8 bit colors and it's pretty slow (on
> > > 10MBit LAN)
> >
> > Hmm?  Does the '-D' (depth) option to rdesktop not work as intended?  The
> > manpage also says it autodetects your X session's bit depth and matches
> > it.  What version of rdesktop are you using?
>
> I'm using 1.2 beta 1 version. the -D option is to hide decoration. I tried to
> connect to Windows XP Pro and all I get is 8 bit colors, while my X is set to
> 24 bits (XFree 4.2.1, NVidia binary drivers). I didn't find any info on man
> page how to get more then 8 bit colors...

I tried 1.2 beta 1, and it seems noticeably slower than the patchlevel
I'm currently running.

The 'Experimental' patches are actually for 1.1.0, while the site
incorrectly says they're for 1.0.

http://bibl4.oru.se/projects/rdesktop/
has the patches for 1.1.0. Try that.
(plus the 1.2 beta version doesn't have a 'percent of desktop' option, I
like that one :)

Rick

> > I've also used rdesktop for remotely administering servers over a 256K
> > link.  While not speedy, it's definitely more responsive than VNC.
>
> True.
>
> Thanks,
> Hetz
Rick Romero