RDP client under Wine?

Matt Chapman matthewc at cse.unsw.edu.au
Mon Jan 6 18:27:19 CST 2003

On Mon, Jan 06, 2003 at 11:52:56AM -0600, Rick Romero wrote:
> On Mon, 2003-01-06 at 10:32, Hetz Ben Hamo wrote:
> >
> > I'm using 1.2 beta 1 version. the -D option is to hide decoration. I tried to
> > connect to Windows XP Pro and all I get is 8 bit colors, while my X is set to
> > 24 bits (XFree 4.2.1, NVidia binary drivers). I didn't find any info on man
> > page how to get more then 8 bit colors...

More than 8 bit is not supported in any version.  Lots of people whinge
about this, but no-one has actually implemented the necessary changes
to the X11 frontend.

> I tried 1.2 beta 1, and it seems noticeably slower than the patchlevel
> I'm currently running.

Can you try latest CVS - there is an important optimisation post-1.2beta1
merged from the patches.

> The 'Experimental' patches are actually for 1.1.0, while the site
> incorrectly says they're for 1.0.

They are actually on top of 1.0.0 except someone diffed them against 1.1.0...
Please don't use the 'experimental patches' if you can help it, they are
nsupported, have incompatible options, etc.  The main authors are now
contributing to the mainline instead.

> (plus the 1.2 beta version doesn't have a 'percent of desktop' option, I
> like that one :)

I'm not a big fan of 'percent of desktop', since it results in weird
geometries which have caused problems in the past.  What if rdesktop was
to default to the biggest natural size smaller than the current desktop?
e.g. 800x600->640x480, 1024x768->800x600, 1280x1024->1024x768.

Matt