getting started

Dimitrie O. Paun dpaun at rogers.com
Tue Jan 7 01:11:09 CST 2003

On January 7, 2003 03:03 am, Glen Kaukola wrote:
> So what I'm wondering now is what I should be using to compile my
> applications on windows.  One of the books I have says all I need is the
> win32 sdk and I can compile apps.  The closest thing I can find on msdn
> is the microsoft platform sdk, or perhaps the .net sdk.  I've installed
> the microsoft platform sdk core but it doesn't seem to contain nmake.exe
> like the book I have talks about.  So maybe I just need more pieces of
> the sdk?  Or maybe I've installed the wrong thing entirely?

Compiling under the SDK using MS tools gives us little value. We already
know that works. If you don't want to spend the cash on MSVC (and not make
MS any richer :)), and are willing to invest some time into it, I suggest
the following path:
  1. Get the latest mingw 2.0 distribution from http://www.mingw.org
  2. Modify the makefiles that come in the book to work with GNU make,
     and the mingw tool chain. Make sure you use forward slashes (/)! :)
  3. Build on Windows with your newly created Makefiles, and verify
     that everthing runs under Windows just fine.
  4. If you feel like it, document what steps you took to convert the
     makefiles. Maybe we'll put that on the Winelib page, to help
     others in the future.
  5. Take the exact same Makefiles you used under Windows, change
     3 lines in them (CC=winegcc, CXX=wineg++, WINDRES=wrc), and
     try to compile under Linux. Use the latest Wine tree, and
     you should have native Linux apps. If you get errors in this
     step, they are Wine error, please report them, and let's try
     to fix them. This is the real value of this exercise.
  6. Once everything builds, run the apps, and make sure they run fine.
     If they have problems, and you feel brave, let the debugging begin!

Welcome to the team!

--
Dimi.