Web CVS annotation

Eric Pouech eric.pouech at wanadoo.fr
Tue Jan 7 15:51:31 CST 2003

Shachar Shemesh wrote:
> I'm not sure that's right, and I am sure that this is very unwanted.
>
> The reason I don't think this is right is that the rw access is required
> in order to create a lock file. Allowing it will have several very bad
> side effects.
>
>    * Anyone who breaks into the web site will have instant write access
>      to the CVS - VERY BAD!!!
>    * The chances that, when Alexander runs "cvs ci", he will have to
>      wait for CVS locks to be cleared.
>
> Instead, running cvs annotate with the -n switch (i.e. - "cvs -n
> annotate filename") doesn't create a lock file, and will probably not
> require rw access.

sure, the main issue we have is that winehq runs cvsweb as the web cvs
frontend, and cvsweb only supports annotation under the condition I
posted (IOW, it doesn't implement the annotate feature - on WWW side -
with cvs annotate). But you're right on the constraints we get.

so either check if a newer cvsweb implements annotate with cvs annotate,
or we hack cvsweb to get what we want/need...

A+

--
Eric Pouech