DirectSound and i810 soundcards

Francois Gouget fgouget at codeweavers.com
Tue Jan 7 18:35:11 CST 2003

chrismorgan at rcn.com wrote:
[...]
>> Ok. That makes sense. That's sort of the opposite direction of the
>>  DirectSound patch I sent to wine-patches (and which just got
>> applied). The annoying thing is that the mmap, the device format
>> bubbling up and the CreateThread are all in different places :-( Oh
>> well, I'll try to come up with something. It seems hacking things
>> to make mmap succeeds is the simplest approach. But what's the best
>> approach?
>
> Why not just stop trying to mmap the device?  XP can apparently get
> away without it...

That's option 2 I mentioned below but it seems like a bit more work and
I'm unsure of the results. However now that I think of it, it might
actually be needed for getting DirectSound to work with Jack, NAS or
aRts. I guess those may not really support mmap. The approach 2 will
need to be made to work at some point...

>> 2. if we tweak things so that the CreateThread is done, then the
>> resampling will be done by Alsa (or whichever back-end) which will
>>  presumably do it much better than us. howeve rin that case we have
>> to make the almost never used case work and I'm not sure how well
>> it would work anyway (I'm concerned about skips/cracks/pops).

[...]
> Afaik the library is mostly done.  I haven't taken any look at how to
> integrate it into wine yet though, been quite busy with other jack
> audio related work lately.  I was planning on working on this though.

No hurry. Let us know on wine-devel if you need help integrating it in Wine.

--
Francois Gouget
fgouget at codeweavers.com