wxWindows: it's official!

Francois Gouget fgouget at free.fr
Wed Jan 8 12:53:37 CST 2003

On Wed, 8 Jan 2003, Dimitrie O. Paun wrote:
[...]
> Right -- I now see better where you guys come from.
>
> Now, thing is, cygwin does include io.h, and apps expect it.
> You can make a good argument that it shouldn't, but it does.

Note that I'm not completely opposed to to a new io.h header but it
should not be directly in 'include'. Since it's specific for cygwin
compatibility it should go in 'include/cygwin' where it will do no harm
to other people. So people who want/need Cygwin compatibility would add
-I/wherever/include/cygwin to the include path just like people who need
msvcrt compatibility add -I/wherever/include/msvcrt.

Now whether it is worth going to the trouble at this point I'm not
convinced. Maybe if more headers surface. Btw, it clearly seems that
Cygwin borrowed this header from msvcrt. So does it mean applications
using this header are linking with the native Windows msvcrt library? Or
did they replicate the msvcrt functionality in their C library?

Did they borrow other msvcrt headers?

  Good judgment comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgment
                               -- Barry LePatner