wxWindows: it's official!

Francois Gouget fgouget at free.fr
Wed Jan 8 13:08:51 CST 2003

On Tue, 7 Jan 2003, Dimitrie O. Paun wrote:
[...]
> Since program not using msvcrt expect only these funtions,
> that's what we need to provide. I don't know what get_osfhandle(),
> and setmode() are (they are not standard Unix functions), I've
> added included only access().

get_osfhandle() takes a Windows file handle (HANDLE as returned by
CreateFile) and returns a small int you can use with read, write, close,
etc.

setmode() lets you set the default file opening more: either TEXT
(with LF -> CR/LF conversion) or BINARY (no conversion).

I can see how get_osfhandle() can be useful for interoperability in
Cygwin. setmode() seems of a more dubious value though (especially since
it means they must have implemented the awful CR/LF conversion across
their C library API (unless setmode() is nothing but a stub)).

                            1 + e ^ ( i * pi ) = 0