Mac OS X/Darwin port of Wine

Francois Gouget fgouget at free.fr
Wed Jan 8 13:28:10 CST 2003

On Wed, 8 Jan 2003, Jim White wrote:
[...]
> I think I will investigate the Linux compatible angle for a bit.  I've
> already had some interest from some hard core Linux kernel hackers
> (although they seem pretty convinced Mach was the wrong solution, it is
> here to stay and at least the microkernel approach means we can neatly
> have multiple environments).

I think this is the right way to go.

Once you can run Linux/x86 application like Mozilla with acceptable
performance in Bochs on MacOS X you should be able to run applications
such as Word in Wine with similar performance. Similarly, once Linux/x86
Gimp runs with acceptable performance in Bochs on MacOS X you can run
Photoshop in Wine with similar performance (well, once it runs in Wine
that is).

The other way to go is the source-code compatibility route but that
won't help you if the source for your target Windows applications is not
available. Well, actually having that route well tested and mapped out
would help once companies start considering whether it's worth porting
their application, but that's indirect...

                     f u kn rd ts, ur wy 2 gky 4 ur wn gd.