Help with /?? stuff

Shachar Shemesh wine-devel at sun.consumer.org.il
Wed Jan 8 15:59:50 CST 2003

Hi,

I'll clarify my specific predicament.

It seems that when MoveFileEx is called with
"MOVEFILE_DELAY_UNTIL_REBOOT" flag, an entry is written into the
registry with the file names to rename. Windows being what it is, a
MULTI_SZ entry is used in a way that is totally and utterly incopatible
with the MULTI_SZ definition, but we'll leave that rant to another time.

The thing more interesting is that Windows, and as a result Wine, add
"\??\" at the begining of the file name. This means that if I wanted to
reanem C:\hello to C:\goodbye, the registry will get \??\C:\hello and
\??\C:\goodbye. I tried passing this string directly into CreateFile,
and no go (in other words, these are not valid file names, at least as
far as Wine is concerned).

My question is whether anyone is familiar enough with the API to tell
whether these are valid path names that are simply not understood by
Windows, or whether I am supposed to strip them away, whether on Windows
or on Wine?

            Shachar