[Fwd: Re: getting started]

Glen Kaukola gkaukola at earthlink.net
Fri Jan 10 00:15:13 CST 2003

Dimitrie O. Paun wrote:
> Compiling under the SDK using MS tools gives us little value. We already
> know that works. If you don't want to spend the cash on MSVC (and not make
> MS any richer :)), and are willing to invest some time into it, I suggest
> the following path:
>   1. Get the latest mingw 2.0 distribution from http://www.mingw.org
>   2. Modify the makefiles that come in the book to work with GNU make,
>      and the mingw tool chain. Make sure you use forward slashes (/)! :)
>   3. Build on Windows with your newly created Makefiles, and verify
>      that everthing runs under Windows just fine.
>   4. If you feel like it, document what steps you took to convert the
>      makefiles. Maybe we'll put that on the Winelib page, to help
>      others in the future.
>   5. Take the exact same Makefiles you used under Windows, change
>      3 lines in them (CC=winegcc, CXX=wineg++, WINDRES=wrc), and
>      try to compile under Linux. Use the latest Wine tree, and
>      you should have native Linux apps. If you get errors in this
>      step, they are Wine error, please report them, and let's try
>      to fix them. This is the real value of this exercise.
>   6. Once everything builds, run the apps, and make sure they run fine.
>      If they have problems, and you feel brave, let the debugging begin!
>
> Welcome to the team!

Well I've gotten MinGW and sorta learned my way around it.  But now, my
problem is that neither of my windows programming books has makefiles of
any sort.  All they have is C++ code.  So maybe I should go with my
original plan of compiling stuff with visual studio and seeing if it
runs under wine.  Or do you have any other suggestions?