Wine, Mozilla & IE ?

Ender winedev at admdev.com
Fri Jan 10 20:00:15 CST 2003

> Ender, you may be right that we might have to integrate something into
> the tree. Nonetheless, it scares me shitless! What happens 3 mo, 1 year
> down the road? KHTML is very much a work in progress, who's gonna track
> it? We don't have any richedit control, heck even our bog standard edit
> box is not finished! And for how many years now?!?

I brought up this very same argument when I first took on the task of
porting it over.. however I as basically outvoted with doing the
implementation as more of a wrapper than a true port :P

> off of, and we have to avoid touching their sources. To this end, I think
> we are much better off by implementing a QT subset:

As it seem there is some effort going on to create a native Win32 KHTML
port using Apple's WebCore wrapper system I think I will take a break on
my current code and play with that a little. Personally I didn't want to
have to take on the chore myself, but this whole Safari thing IS creating
more intrest in non-X11/QT platforms... it definatly changes the playing
field, and with the large speed and compatability merges from Safari
lately my current tree is hopelessly out of date anyway :)

So I think I will play with that and work on the DLL layout and COM
interfaces until something eventuates... I've decided it's worth waiting
to see what direction KHTML takes (portability wise) now that it is being
use in a 'real' non-KDE application. There's no point rushing into a
WINE-specific implementation if something more closely tied to the
upstream code is released meer weeks later.

Of course there still a small problem of having to seperate the code into
MS compatible COM objects and DLLs... I will have to benchmark the speed
impact of stubbing the MS dll's into khtml.dll/kjs.dll ecetra, instead of
replicating the exports more natively.

Cheers,
	Ender