Some ddraw / GDI palette problem

Christian Costa titan.costa at wanadoo.fr
Sat Jan 11 05:24:19 CST 2003

Lionel Ulmer wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>In 'old' D3D games, a lot of textures are created paletted... And each
>of these texture has its own DDraw palette object. And thus each has
>some GDI memory allocated.
>
>This means that after some time, we run out of GDI Heap space due to
>all these palettes created there :
>
>trace:ddraw:Main_DirectDraw_CreatePalette (0x4038ff48)->(00000044,0x406b1340,0x406b1978,(nil))
>trace:palette:CreatePalette entries=256
>err:local:LOCAL_GetBlock not enough space in GDI heap 01b7 for 1052 bytes
>
>Now that problem is fixed in one game (it was due to some bad reference
>counting is some D3D code fixed in patch 79), but if ever it happens in yet
>another game, is it possible to increase this space ?
>
>                     Lionel

I have a similar problem in SS2 and the patch 79 does not help. :-(
According to the code, the GDI heap is 64K at most. So it cannot be
expanded. :-(
64K sound like 16-bit stuff, I wonder if 32-bit systems have this
limitation.
Experts in this area surely have more details about this.... :-)

Christian