Wine, Mozilla & IE ?

Shachar Shemesh wine-devel at sun.consumer.org.il
Sat Jan 11 16:14:10 CST 2003

Dan Kegel wrote:

> Actually, the Linux kernel uses this technique, and it doesn't
> always lead to longer code than, say, nested if's.  It can
> actually be quite clean, and given that the use of 'goto'
> is restricted to a very narrow idiom, it's not all that hard to read.

I use that for kernel programming too, sometimes.

>> Exceptions, on the other hand, give a clean solution to the entire
>> problem. ...
>

> Or at least seems to.  It's *very* difficult to write C++ code that
> is threadsafe and exception safe at the same time.

I'll have to think about that one.

>> If the discussion goes forward, I can give an example of rewriting my
>> latest patch to wineboot (currently using approach 1) with the other
>> four approaches (2, 3, 4 and exceptions).
>

> I've enjoyed the bit of Wine work I've done, but I'm not sure
> I'd continue enjoying it if C++ began to be used inside the
> core of Wine.  C++ is for applications, not operating systems.

I don't think that inside the core is a good idea either (except in
places where the "core" is a huge application, such as may happen if we
integrate a web browser in). I was thinking about the peripherial apps,
though.

> - Dan

        Shachar