Add filesytem type NTFS to config

Andreas Mohr andi at rhlx01.fht-esslingen.de
Tue Jan 14 06:17:51 CST 2003

On Mon, Jan 13, 2003 at 09:06:28PM -0700, Tony Lambregts wrote:
> Some program (VirtualDub) checks the fsname returned by
> GetVolumeInformation, to find the name of the file system, when it needs
> to write files that are larger than 2GB. It refuses to create the file
> when we return FAT but will successfully write the file when NTSF is
> returned.
>
> Change Log: add configuration option to report NTFS as the file system
> type for a drive.
Hmm, I'm not sure whether we should increase the preexisting Filesystem
type mess by doing that.
I've hated the "win95", "vfat" etc. syntax almost from the beginning
(well, to be fair, I think I'm not too innocent when it comes to its
implementation, but at some time I just came to the conclusion
that it sucked)

After all we're running on *Unix* file systems in many cases,
so "win95" does have no place here at all ! (neither does "vfat")
Not to mention that "win95" awfully collides with the "win95" winver...

And adding yet another "incorrect" "ntfs" setting makes my head
want to go bonkey ;-)

So I guess that it might be a good idea to think about how to solve this
configuration issue in a nicer way (and of course keep the old config
capabilities for about 2 years in order to have backward compatibility).

We might even want to think of introducing "nameless" filesystem type
settings (instead of having "broken" conflicting and "wrong" FS type names).
And of course it seems as if we also need a separate FS *name* setting
in order to have Wine return "NTFS" instead of "FAT" in your case...

So could we start a discussion about that perhaps ?

> Files changed: documentation/samples/config
>               documnetation/configuring.sgml
>               files/drive.c
Finally a beautifully implemented patch ! I hate having to clean up the
docu "after the fact".

> -;;   DON'T use "unix" unless you intend to port programs using Winelib !
> +;;   - "ntfs"  for ext2fs (some program need this to write files > 2GB)
                     ^^^^^^^^ urks ! a significant portion of unix FS users
don't even use ext2fs...

> +;;   - "unix"  DO NOT USE unless you intend to port programs using Winelib !
Somehow that setting is also quite some pain...

Andreas Mohr