Add filesytem type NTFS to config

Tony Lambregts tony_lambregts at telusplanet.net
Tue Jan 14 20:26:33 CST 2003

Andreas Mohr wrote:

>On Mon, Jan 13, 2003 at 09:06:28PM -0700, Tony Lambregts wrote:
>

>>Some program (VirtualDub) checks the fsname returned by
>>GetVolumeInformation, to find the name of the file system, when it needs
>>to write files that are larger than 2GB. It refuses to create the file
>>when we return FAT but will successfully write the file when NTSF is
>>returned.
>>
>>Change Log: add configuration option to report NTFS as the file system
>>type for a drive.
>>

>Hmm, I'm not sure whether we should increase the preexisting Filesystem
>type mess by doing that.
>I've hated the "win95", "vfat" etc. syntax almost from the beginning
>(well, to be fair, I think I'm not too innocent when it comes to its
>implementation, but at some time I just came to the conclusion
>that it sucked)
>
>After all we're running on *Unix* file systems in many cases,
>so "win95" does have no place here at all ! (neither does "vfat")
>Not to mention that "win95" awfully collides with the "win95" winver...
>
>And adding yet another "incorrect" "ntfs" setting makes my head
>want to go bonkey ;-)

Well windows programs don't know what to do with ext3 et al so we tell
them what they need to hear. Hell that _IS_ what wine does in general.
You can go bonkey about it all you want.<g>

>So I guess that it might be a good idea to think about how to solve this
>configuration issue in a nicer way (and of course keep the old config
>capabilities for about 2 years in order to have backward compatibility).
>
>We might even want to think of introducing "nameless" filesystem type
>settings (instead of having "broken" conflicting and "wrong" FS type names).
>And of course it seems as if we also need a separate FS *name* setting
>in order to have Wine return "NTFS" instead of "FAT" in your case...
>
>So could we start a discussion about that perhaps ?

This is what I knew I was capable implementing. There was a thread about
this when I took up the project and there was very little in it that
made me want to do it another way.

http://www.winehq.com/hypermail/wine-devel/2002/12/0833.html

The thing is how many programs even care what file system is being used.
At least one checks for CDFS and another checks for NTFS but I think
that the vast majority couldn't care. This fixes the problem in a
general way and I don't see an advantage to doing it in a more elegant
way unless the need arises.

I am however curious what file system types the various implementations
of windows will return. These are the ones I am aware of:

HPFS (from OS2's  High Performance File System)
NTFS
FAT  Floppies and older (small) hard drives
FAT32
CDFS (CD-ROMS)

What else am I missing such as what does Novell or Samba  return for one
of thier mounted drives? What do DVD's report as thier file system on
windows?  What about zip drives and other removable drives? Any other
thing I missed?

IMO The "right" fix is to have Wine query the file system and report
back what the current directory's file system is capable of emulating.
If it is a unix fs or similar then "NTFS" if its a FAT or VFAT then
"FAT" or FAT32. This solution is what _I_ would like to see. However
unless I get a better handle on how to achieve _and_ there is a real
need I am not about to put the effort into implementing it.  So there...<G>

>>Files changed: documentation/samples/config
>>              documnetation/configuring.sgml
>>              files/drive.c
>>

>Finally a beautifully implemented patch ! I hate having to clean up the
>docu "after the fact".

Well I am on the documentation team. (Its where I started working on
Wine BTW)

>>-;;   DON'T use "unix" unless you intend to port programs using Winelib !
>>+;;   - "ntfs"  for ext2fs (some program need this to write files > 2GB)
>>

>                     ^^^^^^^^ urks ! a significant portion of unix FS users
>don't even use ext2fs...

What would you want it to say??  Unix FS? a non exaustive list such as
"ext2, ext3, Rieser eg:"?

>>+;;   - "unix"  DO NOT USE unless you intend to port programs using Winelib !
>>

>Somehow that setting is also quite some pain...

Yes and we tell the application that it is a "FAT" drive currently but
we deal with filenames in a case sensitive way. I am not about to "FIX"
this though, unless the wine-lib guys come up with some specs about what
it sould really do.

--

Tony Lambregts