Implementation of "start" command

Dimitrie O. Paun dimi at intelliware.ca
Thu Jan 16 10:37:40 CST 2003

On Thu, 16 Jan 2003, Dan Kegel wrote:

> You might think so, but on WindowsMe at least, it's a
> separate executable, C:\windows\command\start.exe

Indeed, but I'm a bit worried of poluting the Unix command
line namespace with such a Windows specific feature...

With your command, what's the difference between

start prog

and

prog &

?

If I'm using bash, I expect Unix-like behaviour.
I only expect Windows behaviour if I use wcmd.
So maybe we can keep it as a separate program,
but install it in a different path that's searched
by default only in wcmd? Say $prefix/wine/bin?
Or $prefix/bin/wine? What does FHS say, if anything?

--
Dimi.