Implementation of 'start', take 2

Sylvain Petreolle spetreolle at yahoo.fr
Sat Jan 18 01:06:28 CST 2003

> I had a look at cygstart, but it doesn't even try to be
> commandline-compatible with Microsoft's start.exe.  Oh, well.

Dan, what option would you implement that seems to be important in
start.exe ?
start has only 4 options :
/m minimised and backround
/max maximised and foreground
/r foreground and start exits immediately (default)
/w foreground, wait until termination.
cygstart has many more options.
in case you run "start foo.txt" it just starts the default action.

> BTW, to make 'start foo.txt' work, you need the registry entries

shouldn't winedefault.reg implement these, as we provide notepad ?

> [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.txt]
> @="txtfile"
> "Content Type"="text/plain"
>
> [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\txtfile\shell\open\command]
> @="C:\\WINDOWS\\NOTEPAD.EXE %1"
>
> I verified that removing either of these on WinMe caused
> 'start foo.txt' to fail.
>
> I did not verify that, when you use the /w flag, the exit
> status of the subprocess is returned in the same way
> as it's done in Windows.

=====
Sylvain Petreolle
spetreolle at users.sourceforge.net
Fight against Spam ! http://www.euro.cauce.org/en/index.html
ICQ #170597259

"Don't think you are. Know you are." Morpheus, in "Matrix".