* Hack * for Wine-20030115 DOSFS_Hash on Solaris 8 x86

Andreas Mohr andi at rhlx01.fht-esslingen.de
Sat Jan 18 02:28:26 CST 2003

Hi !

On Fri, Jan 17, 2003 at 08:40:30PM -0500, John Wehle wrote:
> wine photoed reports it can't find GIFIMP32.FLT (and friends)
> which prevents images from being imported.  The trace is:
>
> trace:dosfs:DOSFS_GetFullName L"C:\\PROGRA~1\\COMMON~1\\MICROS~1\\GRPHFLT\\GIFIM
> P32.FLT" (last=0)
> trace:dosfs:DOSFS_FindUnixName /dos,L"PROGRA~1\\COMMON~1\\MICROS~1\\GRPHFLT\\GIF
> IMP32.FLT"
> trace:dosfs:DOSFS_ToDosFCBFormat (L"PROGRA~1\\COMMON~1\\MICROS~1\\GRPHFLT\\GIFIM
> P32.FLT", df621770)
> trace:dosfs:DOSFS_OpenDir "/dos"
> trace:dosfs:DOSFS_ReadDir Read: long_name: L"Program Files", short_name: (null)
> trace:dosfs:DOSFS_FindUnixName   checking L"PROGRA~1   " L"PROG~FBU   "
>
> What happens is DOSFS_Hash hashes "Program Files" in an unexpected fashion
> which prevents DOSFS_FindUnixName from realizing it matches ""PROGRA~1   ".
>
> The enclosed * hack * allows wine photoed to load images.  It is * not *
> the correct answer.  One possible approach is to modify DOSFS_OpenDir_Normal
> to generate "proper" short names after it has read all the directory entries.
Hmm, somehow I don't think this is a proper solution.
The reasoning being that you probably have a Windows partition
in your Wine install with that ~1 path buried somewhere in the registry
or so. And IMHO if the registry contains such a setting (*from installation
only* - a program most likely wouldn't create a ~1 .3 shortcut pathname
on its own !), then we are SOL and probably should keep it like that instead
of adding hacks that probably don't improve the code a whole lot.
Instead, people should install the program via Wine, thus gaining "proper"
registry keys with "proper" 8.3 *Wine* hashing during the install via Wine !

We simply don't seem to have a way to have a *fixed* mapping of long filenames
to the ~1 shortcuts used in Windows; that's why we need our hashing.
(someone correct me if I'm wrong about this issue !)

Or maybe I'm wrong and we should indeed try to cope even with such a
pretty hopeless situation.

Oh, and I just realized that maybe yet another patch from you might get
rejected ;-\
(although I'm grateful for the discussion about that issue)

Andreas Mohr

P.S.: Please CC me on followup discussions - I'm not on wine-devel currently.