Wine kernel acceleration module?

Dan Kegel dank at kegel.com
Sun Jan 19 11:42:03 CST 2003

Shachar Shemesh wrote:
> Francois Gouget wrote:
>
>> Anyway, when compared to the shared memory server it seems to me that
>> the main advantage of a kernel module is stability. It is my
>> understanding (correct me if I'm wrong) that with the shared memory
>> approach, a buggy (or malicious) Wine/Winelib application could crash
>> all other Wine/Winelib applications using that server (at least only one
>> user would be affected).
>>
> Whereas with the kernel module, it could panic the entire machine. Yepee!!

That's only possible if there's a bug in the kernel module,
whereas with the shared memory approach, it's possible
even if the wineserver code is flawless.

You are arguing against putting any code in the kernel.
That would put you in the Mach camp, I think :-)
- Dan

--
Dan Kegel
http://www.kegel.com