1995-era installshield woes - foreground window never appears

Dan Kegel dank at kegel.com
Sun Jan 19 21:30:18 CST 2003

Greg Turner wrote:
> On Sunday 19 January 2003 08:02 pm, Dan Kegel wrote:
>
>>Data Access Objects
>>installer. When you run it, you get to the first
>>screen with a big blue background, but the foreground
>>window never shows up. It's probably there, but
>>invisible, or something. Alt-tab doesn't help, and
>>the blue background is full-screen, so you can't
>

> hehe, seen a few of those.  Too bad wine emulates that business so
> nicely :)

No, the installer works fine on Windows.  Wine isn't emulating
very well here.

> I don't have a fix for the fundamental problem, but I do know some
> workarounds: from a system-administration perspective, you can download
> one of the MDAC redistributables, and try to get it to install after
> you are done.  This, I think, will put DAO into your filesystem &
> registry to some extent.

That'd help if I actually wanted to use DAO :-)
Unfortunately, I'm simply focused on making the msvc4 installer
work nicely under wine.

> ...  "managed" mode might help with this problem as well.

Aha!  .wine/config had managed=Y.  Switching it to managed=N
made the dialog box show up properly!

OK, this has to be a bug in wine, doesn't it?   Got any tips
on how to continue tracking this down?  (I suppose I could try
seeing if Wine has been able to do this in the past, and
binary search cvs until I find out what broke it... hmm, didn't
work back in 20020605.  Not sure it's worth searching back further.)

My wife keeps rolling her eyes when I tell her I'm on a quest to
get msvc4's installer working smoothly under wine, but it sounds
like a reasonable quest to me :-)
- Dan

--
Dan Kegel