dlls/ddraw/dsurface/user.c and OWN_WINDOW & Worms World Party

Jani Vaarala flamepygmy at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 20 07:34:17 CST 2003

> >In version 2002-06-05 graphics output is ok, but
> mouse
> >events seem to be going to /dev/null. I tried
> >different versions and I found out that 2002-06-28
> had a fix
> >labeled:
> >
> >   "Disable OWN_WINDOW as it no longer works."
> >
> >I tried defining OWN_WINDOW in latest build and the
> >graphics came out ok. But no mouse events. If I
> >undefine OWN_WINDOW, I get the mouse (can hear the
> menu
> >selection sounds), but no graphics.
>
> have you tried to active "DXGrab" = "Y" in config
> file ?
> else can you try ?

   I tried that, but it doesn't work (if OWN_WINDOW is
   enabled). I looked at the code behind OWN_WINDOW
   and it seems that it reads multiple WM_PAINT events
   (per frame?) instead of just one and in the process
   gets also other kind of events (key,mouse) and
posts
   these messages back to system.

   In ddraw/dsurface/user.c is commented:

    /* the point of this is that many games lock the
primary surface
     * multiple times per frame; this thread will then
simply copy as
     * often as it can without keeping the main thread
waiting for
     * each unlock, thus keeping the frame rate high
*/

    So I'm just wondering if the game does exactly
this
    and without the OWN_WINDOW fix, graphics updates
get
    somehow "stacked" and GDI overflows.

> >When I get no graphics, it seems that GDI heap
> >overflows aswell.
>
> hmmm, where ? maybe in palettes things no ?

    Yes the overflow entries are palette ones, but
    it also says something about "missing WM_PAINT".

> >I'm not a windows expert, so it would take quite
> long
> >time to find out what is actually the reason for
> this.
> >
> >Could someone from this list take a look at it ?
>
> I'm not a ddraw expert but i'll try to help you,
> maybe christian can look at it as lionel is on
> holydays :)

  Thanks :)

--jani