resend: small DOS vga improvement

Christian Costa titan.costa at wanadoo.fr
Mon Jan 20 14:58:59 CST 2003

Jukka Heinonen wrote:

>Christian Costa wrote:
>
>>Andreas Mohr wrote:
>>
>>>So until there is further information about how to do it properly,
>>>I'll just remove the vga_refresh reset in the VGA_IsTimerRunning() case,
>>>and of course this makes Turbo Pascal 6 usable (although screen update is
>>>a bit slower than IDA, most likely due to using int 10h instead of video
>>>mem and also probing I/O port 0x3da).
>>>
>>Sure it will help your app but others that need video sync will not work
>>properly. :-)
>>
>>In your case, VGA_Poll_Text is called periodicaly and should be running
>>at 33 fps.
>>Since 33 fps is just half the standard speed (70Hz), all should be fine.
>>But is VGA_Poll_Text running at 33 fps?
>>I suspect this function is too slow (maybe due to the console code).
>>

>Well, after some trivial searching, I found out that VGA register 0x3da
>reports vertical retrace, horizontal retrace and some light pen stuff:
>
>  1xxx = Vertical retrace in progress if set
>  x1xx = Light pen switched on
>  xx1x = Light pen trigger set
>  xxx1 = Either vertical or horizontal retrace in progress if set

Damned! I didn't notice that two more bits (light pen trigger +
horizontal retrace) was handled.
Since 3 bits are handled at the same time, it would be good to isolate
the bit that helps TP6.
Personally, I don't think that the vertical retrace causes problem but
maybe doing the toggle at each
read for the other bits can do the job.