Old PROGMAN DDE service for creating icons?

Dan Kegel dank at kegel.com
Tue Jan 21 03:17:34 CST 2003

Dan Kegel wrote:
> Hey folks,
> I looked around on google for some discussion of this, but didn't find
> anything.
> What's the current thinking on making Wine able to handle
> the DDE messages that old windows 3.1 apps used to
> use to install program icons?
>
> In Microsoft Windows 3.1, this was handled by Progman.exe.
> In win95 and later, I think it's handled by Explorer.exe.
>
> Should I perhaps add a DDE server to the placeholder
> implementation of explorer I submitted last week?
>
> For what it's worth, I looked around for an example of a DDE
> server written in C, and found one written in 1992:
> http://www.the-oasis.net/thereef/files/c/ddeml.zip
> (possibly written by bob.hartman at esoft.com, it's hard to tell).
> That should come in handy as example source if we decide to do this.

Anther possibly useful resource:
http://www.angelfire.com/biz/rhaminisys/ddstudio.html

And here's something we might want to emulate for testing:
http://www.mkssoftware.com/docs/man1/dde.1.asp

I'm vaguely tempted to write an xinetd for dde, so programs
can accept dde messages on stdin and send responses via stdout :-)
- Dan

--
Dan Kegel
http://www.kegel.com