Installshield 6 crash: ole trouble

Greg Turner gmturner007 at ameritech.net
Tue Jan 21 10:48:07 CST 2003

On Tuesday 21 January 2003 04:38 am, Marcus Meissner wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 21, 2003 at 09:43:29AM +0000, Mike Hearn wrote:
> > Would this be fixed by the work that's being done on Wines RPC
> > implementation?
>
> This is a different implementation, when it is finished ... yes.

don't hold your breath :)  But I concur, implementing the RPC APIs,
including the DCOM specific ones, will fix it eventually.  Now that I
have an actual working test, I can continue work on the actual
implementation side.  But first I want to do some more cabextract
stuff, since it appears that it's not 100% working yet.

> The current implementation should be capable of doing that too.
>
> > Why exactly does an installer require such complex parts of OLE
> > anyway? That seems like overkill for a self-extracting exe to me.
>
> No clue.

Well, it's not hard to imagine why an installer might need some
interprocess communicaiton.  And since RPC is available for basically
every MS OS out there, and even non-MS platforms, it's easy to see how
they came to the decision to use it.

--
gmt

"Everything that is really great and inspiring is created by
the individual who can labor in freedom." --Albert Einstein